My Family

My Family

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Terrifying Facts...

So this last Sunday was just like any other Sunday. Went to church, ate with friends, spent time with my kids and then had Small group at our house on Sunday night. After Small Group I was sitting in the floor in my living room and I got a text from a friend saying that Osama had been killed. I had my phone near me so I turned it on and it went to Facebook and I turned on the news. Facebook was LIT Up with people saying their opinions on what had happened and I was also watching the news where people were cheering and waving flags, dancing and singing our national anthem.

My thoughts were not "OH YAY", but they also weren't sadness for this evil man either! I feel like 9/11 was such a difficult day for this Country and he was the reason for this! But I was confused with my emotions, because I was scared! I couldn't put my finger on it, but my stomach started hurting and I just felt this sick feeling! Korry called a few minutes later and asked if I had heard what happened and then proceeded to tell me that what just happened made him deploying much more dangerous and then it hit me like a TON of Bricks! These people HATE Americans! And all their seeing of us right now is exactly what we saw on our news channel the day of 9/11! Cheering, singing and dancing in the street!

People keep saying, but that was different, that was them killing thousands of innocent people! We just killed a huge Terrorist threat to our nation! Let me first clarify this...I am 100% positive this SHOULD have happened. The men and women who are fighting for this great nation did their job EXACTLY right!!! But the part that is upsetting is what we did next...in THEIR minds... we are celebrating one of THEIR people being killed! And you may say, I don't care if their mad, we are celebrating and "honoring" our military members...when in fact you're NOT! You are putting a HUGE target on their backs! They are SO mad right now, and we're just rubbing salt in that wound by our actions! It makes me Absolutely TERRIFIED that Korry will be going over their in just a few short weeks to a Country with a lot of people who Hate Americans with a ton of vengeance in their hearts!!! I believe we are better than this!

I think as Americans, we love to talk about our"rights" but rarely our responsibilites. We have reason and even the "right" to celebrate but I think it needs to be done with dignity and in a responsible manner. For every action there is a reaction and we need to consider the reaction and if it will put our military at greater risk. Why fan the flames of their fury? We got what justice we could...he can't pay a higher price than his life. Why mirror their actions on 9/11 and rub their noses in it? Freedom isn't free...it ALWAYS comes at a cost and we need to put the military who is actually paying the price first and do what we can to keep them as safe as possible until they are back home!!!

‎"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." ~I dont know who wrote this, but I think it fits and is a Beautiful Quote! :o)

4 comments:

Melissa Glade said...

Well said...

Brooke Shands said...

Ya'll were the first ones that I thought of when I heard the news. After the initial excitment that he was dead, the same thing hit me as well. We will send up major prayers for ya'll for the next 6 months. Know that you have a support system here while he is gone!

Brittany Leverett said...

Thank you Brooke!!! I really do appreciate it!!! :o)

Laura said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts for everyone to read. As a military wife, you have a much different perspective than most of us. And you already know how I feel about all this. :)

P.S. That quote at the end is an adaptation of a M.L. King quote. He said the last part about hate/love, but not the first part...but either way, I love the whole thing too. :)